E-mail-based messenger with end-to-end encryption
less than a minute
Messengers like Telegram, Signal, Whatsapp cannot be private due to the peculiarity of their architecture - centralization. And peer-to-peer (p2p) services like Tox consume too many resources and are inconvenient to use on a mobile device.
The best solution is to use your mail server for Delta.Chat. Delta.Chat is a messenger based on the email protocol.
If your conversation partner doesn’t use Delta.Chat, it will be just an ordinary email correspondence for him.
- Official client (GNU/Linux, Android, Windows, macOS, iOS)
Features of Delta.Chat
- Regular email client with all the features of IM.
- Reliable end-to-end encryption (e2e), provided a personal email server is used by both interlocutors or a personal key exchange, such as via QR code.
- Can use any email server, but then you lose control over the meta-information and risk key-swapping man-in-the-middle attack.
- Slightly slower than usual messengers
- First message is not encrypted because public encryption keys are sent with it.
- There are problems with sending files > 5-7MB.
- There are no convenient channels (chats for mass discussions and sending out information). We recommend using a decentralized social network.
Last modified May 18, 2023: finally brought two languages into a single view (26edcbb)